This job announcement caught my eye and I thought I'd share it. I imagine the collection has a unique following!
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, SANTA CRUZ
Grateful Dead Archivist
The University Library of the University of California, Santa Cruz, seeks an enterprising, creative, and service-oriented archivist to join the staff of Special Collections & Archives (SC&A) as Archivist for the Grateful Dead Archive. This is a potential career status position. The Archivist will be part of a dynamic, collegial, and highly motivated department dedicated to building, preserving, promoting, and providing maximum access both physically and virtually to one of the Library's most exciting and unique collections, The Grateful Dead Archive (GDA). The UCSC University Library utilizes innovative approaches to allow the discovery, use, management, and sharing of information in support of research, teaching, and learning.
Under the general direction of the Head of Special Collections and Archives, the GDA Archivist will provide managerial and curatorial oversight of the Grateful Dead Archive, plan for and oversee the physical and digital processing of Archives related material, and promote the GDA to the public and facilitate its use by scholars, fans, and students.
• Master's degree from an ALA-accredited program or equivalent accredited graduate archives management program.
• Significant, demonstrated experience working with books, manuscripts, photographs, recordings, or other material in a special collections & archives environment.
• Knowledge of the access tools for special collections and archival material and the standards and procedures for their preservation and conservation.
• Demonstrated experience developing processing plans and creating finding aids in accordance with national standards.
• Knowledge of and ability to maintain awareness of developments in archival processing, digital information technologies, and their uses in special collections and archives.
• Expert knowledge in the history and scholarship of contemporary popular music, or American vernacular culture, preferably the history and influence of the Grateful Dead.
• Excellent analytical, organizational, and time management skills.
• Demonstrated oral, written and interpersonal communication skills sufficient to promote and present the archive to multiple audiences.
• Prior experience directing the work of others.
Strongly Preferred Qualifications:
• Demonstrated experience working in public services in an academic environment.
• Demonstrated experience working on outreach and other donor related activities.
Professional librarians at UC are academic appointees. They are entitled to appropriate professional leave, two days per month of vacation leave, one day per month of sick leave, and a generous benefit program including an excellent retirement system. The University sponsors a variety of group health, dental, vision, and life insurance plans. Relocation assistance is provided.
Rank: Associate Librarian or Librarian
Salary: Appointment Range: Associate Librarian III – Librarian I, with an approximate salary range of $52,860 – $68,892, commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Position Available: March 1, 2010
Electronic submission of applications is preferred. All materials can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants should supply a letter of application that includes a statement indicating how applicant’s credentials and experience meet the posted requirements for this position. The letter should also include a resume of their education and experience, as well as the names, addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses of three (3) references that are knowledgeable about their qualifications for the position.
Alternate mailing address:
University of California
1156 High Street
Santa Cruz, CA 95064
Phone: (831) 459-2076 Fax: (831) 459-8206
Please refer to Position #T10-07 in all correspondence.
Closing date: This position is open until filled. Initial review of applications will begin on December 4, 2009. In order to receive full consideration, all materials should arrive by that date.
If you need assistance due to a disability please contact the Academic Personnel Office at 499 Clark Kerr Hall (831) 459-4300. This position description is available in alternate formats, which may be requested from Academic Personnel at (831) 459-4300.
VISIT THE APO WEB SITE AT: http://apo.ucsc.edu